As a family of 8, I have learned a few tricks over the years to make a family overnight get-away affordable and fun. If you are living on a budget there are still lots of ways to do things as a family and have fun if you get a little creative.
5 Money Saving Tips for a Fun Family Get-Away on a Budget
1) Watch for deals on hotels. I have gotten great deals through places like Groupon or discount coupon books for overnight stays, especially on the off nights – Sunday through Thursday. Plus it is not as busy! If our whole family goes to a hotel we need to get 2 rooms but we have gotten some great deals in the past that have made it affordable for us.
2) Stay close to home. The kids don't care and it saves money on the cost of gas!
3) Bring your own snacks and drinks. Vending machine snacks are so expensive so we always bring our own tote filled with snacks and drinks.
4) Eat breakfast at the hotel. Most hotels have a complimentary breakfast with things like cereal, fruit, yogurt, toast, muffins, and juice. No need to spend extra money on going out for breakfast!
5) Watch for coupons or deals that you can use for dinner to save money. You can keep it really simple and just get take-out pizza and eat at the hotel. Sometimes we even bring our own sandwiches or wraps to eat.
In February my 4 younger children had a couple days off for winter break. I decided to surprise them with an overnight get-away at a hotel with a pool. I knew they would be excited and I love surprising them! They all love to go swimming and the summer swimming season here in Michigan is pretty short.
The kids were so excited when we got to the hotel. They couldn't wait to get in their swimsuits and get to the pool!
The pool was nice and big! It was in a shape of a mitten like the state of Michigan!
It is so great as a mom to see your kids having so much fun together! They made up lots of fun games.
One of their favorite things was the hot tub. It was an indoor/outdoor hot tub and it was huge. They thought it was great to be outside in the hot tub next to the snow!
All that swimming made them hungry so we went back to our room for a little while and ordered a pizza. Yes, I took coupons from home because I don't like to pay full price!
We did some more swimming. Then got on our comfy clothes, popped some popcorn and played some card games until bedtime.
The next morning we ate the complimentary breakfast at the hotel. The kids thought it was cool they could have whatever they wanted:)
We went back to the room and packed up our stuff. And then you guessed it… we got our swimsuits back on and went swimming for a few more hours! I think we got our use out of the pool and hot tub!
I really enjoyed our night away and my kids are still talking about it! It was so relaxing and a nice change of pace during the winter. They don't stay in a hotel very often so it was a real treat for them!
Living on a budget doesn't mean you can't have fun and make lots of great family memories!
Join me on Facebook for more money saving mom tips – Busy Moms Connect