People often start out the year by making New Year’s resolutions.
Some of the most common resolutions are…
- losing weight/getting in shape
- saving money/spending less
- getting organized
- eating healthier
So why don’t people stick with their resolutions?
I believe it’s because they don’t take the time to make a plan.
Resolutions are often more of a “wish list” with no real action plan. A list of things people wish would happen but they don’t want to put in the work to make it happen.
I prefer to start out the year by setting goals for myself and my business. It gives me a sense of purpose and direction for the year.
Will everything work out just like I plan? Of course not! There will be twists and turns along the way. Life happens. God may have different plans for me that I don’t see now.
The tragedy of life doesn’t lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goal to reach. -Benjamin Mays
There are some things you can do to help you turn your goals into a reality.
3 Goal Setting Steps:
- Write down your goals. There is something about putting them down on paper that makes them more real than just thinking about them.
- Get specific and break down your goal. For example, if you want to lose weight decide how much you want to lose in the next year. Then break it down into how many pounds per month you need to lose. Is it a realistic goal? If not, maybe you need to re-think your goal and adjust it.
- Take Action. Decide what steps you need to take to work towards your goals and make a plan. For the weight loss example you would need to decide what you will do to lose the weight. What will you do for exercise? How many times a week will you exercise and when? What changes will you make in your eating habits?
The more detailed your action plan is, the better! You will be much more likely to stick with it and reach your goals.
Do you have any tips to add that have helped you?